Sunday, March 27, 2011

pretty (graphic) little table....

this little table is solid....i mean it is really heavy.  they just don't make furniture like they used to.  that is why i love finding old furniture...it's just made better, no particle board, no veneer and they almost always had dovetailed drawers, like this one does. and i love being able to find something ugly, see the potential and make it beautiful and cool!!!

the table started out looking like this
kinda ugly.  the owner had painted it a dull, dark green.  
i recruited austen and his friend nick to sand down some of the pieces for me.  (just look past the mess in that room....i have kind of taken over the spare bedroom because i HATE working in the basement.   it's cold and dark down there and it's still too cold to do anything in the garage)....i think they love using the power tools as much as i do.....but the dust flies and the picture is kind of hazy because of it.
phase one of the re-do ended up like this.  
i papered the drawers in an embossed and paintable wallpaper.  embossed wallpaper is great for adding some design to an otherwise boring piece of furniture or changing the look of a wall.  an added bonus is that it covers up flaws in the wood and changes the entire look of the piece.....they sell it by the roll at lowe's or home depot and it's an inexpensive way to add some bling.....
i intended to use a pair of pretty pink crystal knobs for the drawers but for some reason
i didn't think there was enough oomph in the piece.  it just lacked some fun...
so i changed out the embossed wallpaper for this
it's fabric!!!!  i used mod podge to apply it and used these great hobby lobby knobs (1/2 off of course) to add some pop to the overall appearance.

i think that the mid-century modern style of the piece needed the graphic pop of color.
love the drawers now....
it's for sale on craigslist now for $50.00....
if any locals are interested in the table, just email me.
have a great week!!

13 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

You are so creative. I'm sure someone will scoop it up soon.

Jenn said...

Too cool! I like it both ways, but the fabric is very fun! To bad I'm not local!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a fantastic makeover! I loved the embossed paper but the fabric is so amazing. Love the pop of color and those knobs are perfect for it!! hugs, Linda

susang said...

Wish you were local...I'd buy it in a second!

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

This is amazing transformation! I love your pick of colors! I only wish I was in your city and I would buy it from you in a heartbeat.

Chrissie said...

Great transformation! I love the addition of the fabric!

Unknown said...

Oh my. I'm not sure which version I like better. The wallpaper was simple and elegant...but that fabric (and those awesome knobs) is so fun!
Great transformation.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love that table! it's awesome! i saw it on better after and had to come see it.:)

Unknown said...

I liked the original embossed paper but the fabric really does make a big difference.. Nice job!
Jackie

Unknown said...

That fabric is AMAZING!! Do you mind sharing where you got it?

When Before Meets After said...

I love it!! but i was wondering how you did the fabric on the drawers? If you dont mind sharing? you could email me if you would like thanks.
salsie90@aol.com

Crystelle said...

SUPER cute! Way to involve your kids and friends too!!!

Lisa said...

The designs in the middle of it are amazing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails